The Berryton United Methodist Church began in 1937, when they affiliated with the United Brethren Church. Trustees were authorized to borrow up to $1,000 for the construction of the church, with 13 members canvassing the neighborhood to see if there was an interest. In 1947, construction began. In 1949, first services were held in the Sanctuary. Membership doubled, and then tripled. In 1955, membership stood at 109.
In 1968, the EUB Church united with the Methodist Church to become our present Berryton United Methodist Church. Several other local churches closed, with their membership transferring to Berryton.
In 1972, it embarked on its first addition; a building committee was appointed. The groundbreaking ceremony was held in 1975 with the final dedication held in 1980. Many different groups and individuals saw the need for growth and contributed their time and money. The addition included a new basement, kitchen, Sunday school rooms, and the present sanctuary.
Membership has steadily increased over the years. The church currently has a congregation of approximately 320 members, 135 attending regularly. Again, the increasing need for space was felt for future growth. In 1995, Berryton UMC bought additional adjoining lots north of the existing building. That loan was paid off in 2001.
The building, besides housing a flourishing church, is also used on a regular basis by the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, a senior citizen group, TOPS program, Kiwanis, and other community groups.
A transformation team was developed in 2000. Among many other activities, the team spent time surveying the congregation, the membership and the community about needs and desires for Berryton United Methodist Church. Many of the needs and desires of the congregation and community included expanded facilities.
The building committee studied the recommendations of the transformation team, the results of the community survey, and recommendations from the Administrative Council, researched other facilities, and developed a building plan.
In July of 2002 this plan was presented to the Berryton United Methodist Church congregation and in August 2002, the membership voted to fund-raise for improvements and additional space adjacent to the existing facility. The fund-raising will be completed in three phases. Phase 1 began in October of 2002 and will continue through 2003. At that time progress will be examined and further plans developed.
Location and Current Information
Berryton United Methodist Church is located at 7010 Berryton Road, which is approximately 4 miles south of 45th and Berryton Road. Our church welcomes visitors and new members. We have two church services each Sunday. The first is at 8:30 with music, sharing and a more contemporary service. First service is followed by Sunday school classes. There is an excellent children’s Sunday school rotation for children of all ages. Middle school and high school students also have classes catered to their needs. There are five adult classes to choose from depending on your needs.
Sunday school classes are followed by our 11:00 service. The more traditional of the two services, sharing and song are still a big part of the service.
Please contact our secretary Jen at 785-862-9494, for more information.